Thursday, March 03, 2011

Homeless man

Some homeless people are too funny.

So I go to Wawa on RSA & Longshore last night around 10 PM and there is a man in his 60's wandering around with a beat up looking dollar bill in his hand. It looked to me like he was looking to see what to get with a buck. He was clearly homless with mismatched worn out shoes, hair that hadn't been washed since he was 15 and clothes that weren't washed since he got them from the shelter back in 92. He was really a pathetic looking case. I felt sorry for him so I asked if he was hungry. He said yes so I asked what he wanted and that I would get him something.
This is where it gets funny.
Now, in my mind, I would think homeless people would be simple and grateful, I mean, look at the guy and how he is dressed and his hygiene, he clearly is not fussy with that (and probably not by choice) So when he responded by asking how long I was going to be in the store and asking if he had 5 or 10 minutes to think about it, it caught me off guard. I told him I was on my way out that if he wanted something to let me know. So after a few minutes of looking at the board he told me he wanted a porkroll and egg sandwich. I told him they don't serve breakfast at 10PM and I suggested a hoagie. He looked at me like the decision pained him and then he reluctantly (it seemed) said, "Ok, I guess and American hoagie will be fine". So I ordered it and all and the guy thanked me 15 times as I walked out. I was highly amused at the fact that a man who probably has to beg for a meal each day would be that fussy with food that was offered. It is amazing how picky some of them are with their food. I remember offering a street person half a pork sandwich, when he opened it, he gave it back because he didn't eat swine. I don't know them at all, but I hear they are a very interesting sub-culture.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone4

No comments:

Most critical 4 years!

As parents, we choose to have children and therefore we are obligated to sacrifice almost everything in our life to raise, teach and protect...