Thursday, November 21, 2013

My greatest memories....

Some of my greatest memories of spending time with my dad was when I was helping him do something. We used to drive his old stick shift truck from work to get mulch for the garden. He would let me shift through the gears, I was on top of the world! When we got back, I'd help push the hand truck back to the garden with the barrels of mulch. My dad was always fixing things, around the house and for other people. I would always get to tag along with him to watch him work, and come to think of it, back then, i thought I was helping. I learned what a mixing valve on a washing machine was and how a clothes dryer timer works. I learned how to replace a burner in a gas dryer, and how to replace a light switch, I learned how to sweat pipes and how to put brakes on a car, how to change the oil how to drop what you are doing to help your mom, I learned what it's like to take care of your mom and what it means to love your wife, I learned how to plant flowers and care for a vegetable garden, I learned how to be there for the less fortunate, I learned how to give even when you don't have anything left to give, I learned what priorities are, I learned what faith really is, I learned to see beauty in simple things, I learned how incredibly beautiful things like music, children, family and nature is that most people don't see, I learned to appreciate the ones you have, I learned how to give first, I learned how to look after, love and provide for my family, I learned that no job or money is worth missing time with my family, I learned how to respect women, I learned how to drive a car, I learned how to be generous, I learned how to forgive, I learned what truly matters.... I learned all this by the age of 19 and I learned it all from my Dad.


Now, I have 3 of my own to teach a great many things to. My 3 year old son knows how to use a screw driver, a wrench and man other tools effectively. They are all ready to help me do any task or project that I may do. It may take an extra hour or 2 but spending time and making memories is what it's all about. My dad taught me that a long time ago.

No comments:

Most critical 4 years!

As parents, we choose to have children and therefore we are obligated to sacrifice almost everything in our life to raise, teach and protect...