Thursday, April 17, 2014

How to tell a dream

For the longest time I thought I didn't like hearing people's dreams retold. Although from time to time i'd have a dream that warranted being retold. Then recently, just after I finished telling a dream, my wife needed to tell me a dream she had. After a few minutes of setting the scene for her dream, she went into something that sounded like this, "you seemed like you but you looked like him and she had hair like a cat but barked like a dog and you were him but you at the same time but then you seemed like you were him and it was our kitchen but had my moms cabinets but it wasn't really my mom, but it sounded like my mom but looked like your dad but with your sisters hair but we were all at your grandmom's funeral but there was a trapeze above the service, it had a roof but we could still feel the rain ...........................................That's when I realized, I don't mind hearing dreams! What annoys the junk out of me is when someone is telling me a dream and they say all the stuff out loud that they should have figured out in their head first. Now I get it, sometime explaining the oddity of a dream is part of it, but  what's not part of it is the thinking out loud of how bizarre all the confusion of your dream is. So sort it out in your mind first then tell the dream. Tell the non confusing high lights, don't have a conversation with yourself outloud while you are telling the dream. That could cause concern with mental health professionals. Then maybe I will listen. Actually, I still probably don't care to hear yours, only my wife and kid's dreams.

No comments:

Most critical 4 years!

As parents, we choose to have children and therefore we are obligated to sacrifice almost everything in our life to raise, teach and protect...